Adults need at least 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week; children 60 minutes everyday or most days. Even greater amounts of physical activity may be necessary for the prevention of weight gain, for weight loss, or for sustaining weight loss. Plan family activities that provide everyone with exercise and enjoyment.
- Set a good example. Be active and get your family to join you. Have fun together. Play with the kids or pets. Go for a walk, tumble in the leaves, or play catch.
- Take the President’s Challenge as a family. Track your individual physical activities together and earn awards for active lifestyles.
- Provide a safe environment for your children and their friends to play actively.
- Establish a routine. Set aside time each day as activity time – walk, jog, skate, cycle, or swim.
- Have an activity party. Make the next birthday party centeredon physical activity. Try backyard Olympics, or relay races. Have a bowling or skating party.
- Set up a home gym. Use household items, such as canned foods, as weights. Stairs can substitute for stair machines.
- Move it! Instead of sitting through TV commercials, get up and move. When you talk on the phone, lift weights or walk around.
- Reduce the amount of time you and your family spend in sedentary activities, such as watching TV or playing video games. Limit TV time to less than 2 hours a day.
- Give gifts that encourage physical activity-active games or sporting equipment.
- HAVE FUN!
(Source: US Goverment Guidelines)